Defining the terms
The term ‘environmental offsets’ refers to measures that compensate for the residual adverse impacts of an action on the environment. Offsets provide environmental benefits to counterbalance the impacts that remain after avoidance and mitigation measures.
An ‘offsets package’ is a suite of actions that a proponent undertakes in order to compensate for the residual significant impact of a project. It can comprise a combination of direct offsets and other compensatory measures.
Offsets should align with conservation priorities for the impacted protected matter and be tailored specifically to the attribute of the protected matter that is impacted in order to deliver a conservation gain.
What we offer
Reef Catchments Solutions provides a suite of offset products including:
- Proponent and landscape/land manager introductions and agreement toward offset delivery with focus toward multiple offset attainments from a given offset action.
- Offset audit and validation products.
- Development and validation of new offset methodologies with a focus toward diffuse and point source water quality offsets, marine systems offset and fish movement and waterway barriers offset (direct and compensatory), and carbon offsets as aligned toward intensive agriculture systems and fire management in the landscape.
- BMA / Hay Point estuary offset aggregation service
- Vegetation offset aggregation service for Burnett Mary Regional Group
Project in development
- Fire emissions assessment project
- Carbon emissions and calculator for intensive agriculture project
- Mackay Regional Council water quality offset pilot project